Sunday, May 1, 2011

Scarlet Letter Research paper Brain storming...

There are a few things that I find interesting in the scarlet letter. One is Why does she make the letter "A" so elaborate and decorative? it is almost like she embraces the letter "A", and says " i did what i did and im a human being and my personal life is no one elses business!" So maybe she is showing it off as a sort of F*%k you puritans. How ever when reading a bit further into the text i saw that the letter "A" could as well be interperated for her new lover Auther Dimmesdale. See Hester i believe loves the minnister so much that she made the "A" so elaborate to sort of trick her own mind into thinking that it was meant for Dimmisdale. This way she could show her love for him and she would be coping with the stress of being critisied in public. I think that it could be a sort of double meaning. Her red "A" could also be related to the word anarchy. See since Hester and her daughter pearl are so out casted and the only rules were the black and white back then so to the town hester was a social anarchist.

2 comments:

  1. I had never given so much thought to the letter A as I did in this novel. I agree with you the way Hawthorne continues to adorn it through Hester is interesting. It's never just a plain letter it is always played up some, a part of me does believe that Hester is trying to tell everyone how she feels through the elaborate designs of the letter A. She is quite but very intelligent and what better way to get back at her crowd of unadoring fans than to shove the letter back in their faces by wearing the letter with an air of pride, it's incredible how she pulls it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always I couldn't agree with you more. This is actually somthing that I'm trying to focus on in my paper while incorrporating the clothing of the era and what it represents. The "A" is one of the most important symbols in the book and one that is not talked about a lot. Their is a lot of guessing going on when trying to find out what Hester's thoughts are behind the "A". I think that your ideas for this paper are great, and shall we see who can write the best paper?
    By the way thanks for the oh so inspiring comment! According to your schedule I will see you in approx. 25 minutes...ha! :)

    ReplyDelete